Monday, January 25, 2010

Employment!!

I am pleased to annouce that the economy is turning around.  At least, it's turning around in this little household in the Philadelphia suburbs!

Just in the nick of time, I've been offered a nursing position on a telemetry/PCU unit in a local hospital.  I'll be starting the second week of February, with twelve weeks of full-time orientation before I begin working 40 hours bi-weekly on night shifts (11:00pm - 7:30am). 

I cannot express how happy I am to have this job.

Since graduation, I've been working random shifts as a phlebotomist and teaching hoop to make ends meet.  I was fortunate that two of my coworkers went out on maternity leave this past autumn, leaving plenty of working hours for me (I'm per diem, so I'm not guaranteed any specific hours in a working week).  However, both of the ladies are coming back to work now, and my hours were very quickly drying up... this upcoming week was essentially my last week of regular work. 

After literally dozens of applications and no bites, I was starting to come to terms with the fact that I'd have to start working as a waitress or store clerk again.  I worked these kinds of service jobs since I was fourteen... and the idea of returning to an industry so far removed from my career of choice was pretty dreadful. 

Luckily, I landed an interview at a local nursing home and had a job offer by the end of that week... and then landed ANOTHER interview at this hospital and got the job offer on Saturday.  Such a windfall of good luck in such a short period of time!  I had to choose between the two, and the choice was obvious... the telemetry experience will be extremely valuable, and I'll be able to get off of my homegrown "be really damn careful" healthcare plan and onto one that will provide something more in the way of security.  That's pretty important, given that my hobbies include lighting myself on fire and dangling updside from fabric 20 feet above the ground. 

So here's to hope, persistance, desperation, despair, and unexpected visits from the Employment Fairy!

No comments: