Thursday, August 12, 2010

A change in perspective: winter.

I'm finding myself to feel differently about the seasons as I become more in tune with the natural cycle of the year.  I find my attitude changed most notably in regards to winter.  As I lay here in bed trying to stay cool with three fans blowing air around in our little Cave, I think about the sense of dread I've always felt as the summer ends... Fall moves in, but never stays long enough... and the bitterness of winter creeps up on the heels of October and kills all joy and light.  Winter has always meant death to me. 

Now, as the heavy harvest work of climbing fig trees and canning tomatoes peaks, I find myself looking ahead to winter with a sort of prepared anticipation.  I know that come February I'll be itching to have my hands in black soil again, with the sun beating down upon my back and the chickens panting in the shade of the fig tree.  But right now, I can see myself beginning to view the months of cold and dark as a time of rest

What will I do on my days off when there are no weeds to pull?  How will I fill the hours when our meals do not require the filling of a compost bucket with peels, cores and seeds?  Yes, I admit that as I spend these afternoons sweating in my kitchen and putting pounds of prepped fruits and vegetables in the freezer/canner/dehydrator, I find myself looking forward to the time when I pull out these stores, throw them in a slow cooker and call it dinner. 

I do not consider myself a lazy woman, but I do enjoy my hours of leisure, and the idea of having more of them is almost worth having fewer hours of sunlight.

2 comments:

S said...

Knitting... is quiet solace in the depth of winter. Keeps hands feeling productive, but is also as contemplative as the season and encourages rest and renewal.

Gelfling said...

I've been working on an afghan for Jeremiah for about a year and a half now... maybe this winter I'll actually finish it!!
I've also decided to buy a fiddle and squeak out old-timey tunes to wittle away the winter hours :)