Sunday, June 03, 2012

My garden in June

We cracked open the beehive today for the first time this season.  I know, I know... we were late.  But with the bizarre and unpredictable weather we had earlier this season, we had a really hard time finding the right time... And, I'll confess, we were a little bit scared.  The colony has become quite... vigorous. 

Today we inspected the upper deep frame by frame, and then removed it from atop the lower deep.  We intended to place a screened bottom board beneath it, then stack the two boxes again and put on a honey super.  Well, once we got that top deep off... the bees got MAD.  And no amount of smoke would soothe them.  They came pouring out of the hive, covering all surfaces of both boxes, and both of us. We chickened out, and replaced the second deep as quickly as we safely could. 

I did not get a chance to look at the frames of the lower deep.  I didn't see any brood in the upper deep, just frame after frame of gorgeous capped honey.  I was hoping to get a good look at the lower deep to try to find the queen, or at least evidence of her in the way of brood... I suppose we'll have to try again in a week or two, when we've recovered our courage.  I'm a terrible beekeeper :*(




My flower bed, with cosmos, succulents, allysum, and a newly planted celsiana rose bush and provence lavender.


Salad greens and squash.


Lush potatoes, hilled up...


The squash are tyring to take over the entire garden.


Baby Roma tomatoes!


The bean bed, with black beans growing towards the back, more planted yesterday in all that empty space.


The chicken tractor, doing its job of keeping the chickens out of my strawberries


Today's strawberry harvest.  I got about two quarts yesterday, and ate them all in one sitting.


The perrenial garden as viewed from the top of the barn/


The veggie garden and greenhouse as viewed from the top of the barn.


Hops climbing up the barn.


My new love.


Tortellini soup, made with the day's massive harvest of swiss chard and kale, plus last year's home-canned tomatoes.

Tortellini Soup:

Carmelize one chopped onion in olive oil in a stock pot.

Add 1 quart canned tomatoes, 1 quart veggie stock, 1 clove of chopped garlic, 1 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp dried thyme.  Add a package of frozen or fresh cheese tortelli.  Boil all until pasta is cooked.  Add as much chopped fresh green stuff (I used fresh kale and swiss chard, spinach works beautifully as well) as you want, stirring in and removing the whole mess from heat.  Season with salt and black pepper.  Serve with grated asiago cheese on top.

You'll be amazed at how much nutritious dark leafy veggies you can mix into this recipe... my entire bed of kale went into my 6-quart batch.

1 comment:

Carol G said...

Look how all your hard work has paid off! Looks awesome! Great job!