Friday, August 03, 2012

Lammas

These days, I have a hard time keeping track of what day it is.  I work different days every week, I don't get the newspaper or watch TV.  Especially after a weekend, I find that I often have to check the lower right corner of my computer to remind me of the date at work.  So the fact that important days go by, unnoticed and uncelebrated, isn't much of a surprise.  However, I really am more in tune with the Wheel of the Year than I think!

Wednesday night, I came home from work, changed out of my scrubs, and poured a glass of wine.  Before I could even take my first sip, I was overcome with a tremendous urge to run out to the garden and harvest everything I could.  Hubbybunch came home and there I was, piling tomatoes and basil and carrots and onions into the garden cart by the pale light of dusk.  We watched the full moon rise and grinned.  We came inside and made a giant batch of pesto, and sliced the many pounds of carrots to start them in the dehydrator.  I stayed up WAY too late for a work night, preserving the harvest and thinking about Autumn.  I went to bed happy.

It wasn't until yesterday that I realized... of course, it was the Lammas full moon.  I suppose that explains it!

Today I canned peaches, and turned many more peaches into sweet yummy nectar that I then bagged and froze for winter morning refreshments.  I still have a big load of Roma tomatoes that need to be sliced and roasted on low heat for hours on end until chewy and leathery, then bagged and frozen.  I have lemon verbena and chives dehydrating now.  I'm feeling a bit stressed, as we're supposed to leave tomorrow morning to go to a hoopdance festival, and there is still so much to be done!

I suppose I should stop blogging and get on with it then, yes?

No comments: