Sunday, September 23, 2012

The end of a very long week.

This past week wore me out.  I worked my usual three 12-hour shifts, and each one of them was a living nightmare.  I don't know what is going on around here lately, but not even a Saturday morning is quiet in that ED anymore!  Lots of really sick, really injured people coming through those ambulance bay doors.  Which I don't mind, when we have the staff to handle it... but we're running with a skeleton crew and it shows. 

In addition, I attended an all-day Advanced Burn Life Support course and got my certification, and went to our ED's Emergency Care Conference (a full day of continuing education lectures on anything from strokes to vicarious trauma). Tuck in a little schoolwork and the bare minimum of housework, and I'm cooked. 

However, I had today off!  It was glorious!  Autumn has arrived in all her glory, and today was as close to perfect as it gets... sunny, breezy, and cool enough to need a sweater and cozy socks.  We lit our first fire of the season in the woodstove tonight to ward off the chill (we might be rushing it a little, but it's just so cozy). 

I baked two loaves of extra tangy sourdough bread, the dough for which had been in the works for nearly three days by the time it got into the oven this afternoon.  I fed the starter Friday night, mixed in the rest of the ingredients Saturday morning before work, let it rise in the fridge until Saturday night, punched it down and let it rise again until this morning, then formed the loaves and completed the final three-hour rising. 
It was worth the wait, oh yes it was.

No comments: