Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Back on track


Honeybunch and I made moss terrariums this past weekend, and re-potted all of our warm weather plants that will need to come inside over the winter.  I'm not sure how successfully the moss and succulents will live together in the long run... but I think it's a beautiful combination.


I'm planning on giving these as Christmas presents, as well as using them as decorations at the wedding.


 I love the different textures and colors of all the different species, I think they're a beautiful way to bring some living green woodland spirit into the house as the days grow short!



These past few weeks have been filled with major slacking on the local eating thing.  Without the thrill of fresh, warm tomatoes from the vine and bright colored crispy things coming in from the CSA, my cooking creativity has been lagging and so has my motivation to keep things fresh and unprocessed.  Last night, I made vegetarian sloppy joes from soy sausage, a box of spices, and canned tomato paste from Whole Foods.  Yup, it was a low point.  We ate it with our homemade bread, but still...

But I'm trying to get back on track!  I love the apples, squash and salad greens we're getting now that the weather is crisp... and we have an abundant supply of eggs now that everyone is laying (except for Bambi.  She hasn't laid one of her lovely green eggs since Cerberus died.  I know she's just molting, but I like to believe that it's grief).  The dark leafy greens should keep coming until our CSA ends, and roasted root veggies are mighty fine.  So, I'm going to aim for making a soup, a loaf of bread, and quiche each week at a minimum.  These three things will keep the two of us well-fed during the work week and will help prevent the kind of slippage that I've been guilty of lately. The challenge will be putting enough creativity and imagination into the recipes to keep it interesting as the tender fresh goodies of summer go away and the sturdier fruits and veggies take over. 

Any suggestions???

1 comment:

S said...

beans and legumes make excellent stand by to eat alone or add to soups and stews. I like to soak and cook up a huge batch with some kombu to break down the enzymes in the beans. Then add to everthing, might even be nice in your breads. My favorite, "I don't feel like cooking, and it's winter and no fresh veggies, but I want something nutritious" (gasp.. big breath) meal is called Mojadra.. It's indian and is basically carmalized onions and lentils. SOOO good for such a simple dish. I'll send you the recipe when I dig it out. I add lots of sea salt and it's such a good comfort food with maybe some kale on the side? and over rice.. Mmmm...