Friday, October 22, 2010

October wanes

This season is going by way too fast for my comfort.  Already I'm seeing my breath as I leave the hospital in the morning, the sun just barely peeking up over the horizon.  I see very little daylight anymore.  The hour or so of light between when I leave work and when I fall asleep has been pale, and dampened by heavy fog this past week.  When I arise, the sun is setting and the world is dark once again.  This is just a warmup for the long dark of a winter working night shift.

Our greens have sprouted, and seem to be doing well in the cool damp soil.  I finally did plant the garlic and green manure, but I fear the chickens managed to find their way into the fenced garden plot and have probably consumed all of the green manure seed that I broadcast there.  Oh well.  It all turns into food eventually, one way or the other. 

I haven't been preserving the harvest the way I should be.  I need to make applesauce, fruit leather, and can some pears in light syrup... but the motivation and time have been lacking.  Tomorrow evening a few lovely likeminded ladies will be coming over for a "Salsa Swap" that has morphed into an all out canned and homemade goodies swap and potluck.  I'm excited to try everyone else's recipes and to learn something new. 

Our Sucky Fish died.  You know, the kind that goes around the tank eating algae.  I can't remember the actual name of the species... I always just called him Sucky Fish.  He'd been acting rather morose, and we thought that maybe he needed a girlfriend... but no, he died.  So this time around we'll be getting two, hoping that the pleasure of each other's company will help extend their lifespans.  Poor little Sucky Fish. 

My sister's birthday party was a wild success.  Many jack o' lanterns were carved, many glasses of wine poured, many high-calorie bits of decadence consumed.  It was awesome, and the last guests left around 4:30am. 

I am super excited at the idea of spending this weekend at home, with no plans for either Saturday or Sunday.  This is revolutionary.  Honeybunch and I have not had a weekend that has not involved a festival, camping trip, party, or road trip SINCE MAY.  That is absurd.  Originally we had plans to go to an event in D.C on Saturday... we even have tickets... but earlier this week I threw a little tantrum about how I feel the need to have a weekend when I don't have to be "on" all the time... a weekend free of performance, hostessing, and sleeping on the ground.  Honeybunch sensed the fraying of my rope, and has worked very hard to clear us of our obligations this weekend so we can stay home and relax.  I am so psyched.  I might even read a book!!!

No comments: