Friday, June 10, 2011

It's summertime

Everything is incredibly green right now.  The days are hot, and long... it's not fully dark until after 9pm around here.  There is too much to do, and not enough time in which to do it, and my seedlings have died since I didn't get an annual veggie garden bed dug in time.  I'm forgiving myself for that. 

The ducks are getting big and fat, and the chickens are acting like chickens... our little rooster is trying to be a big man out there, puffing up his chest and strutting around like he's something else.  The iris and peonies are giving way to lilies, and everywhere I look there are black walnut seedlings to be pulled out.

After pulling some weeds and digging out many, many sumac and black walnut saplings, we found a lovely little stone retaining wall under all that mess.  We hope to terrace this hillside for next year's veggie garden.






Mulching, ever mulching...


From the strawberry patch!  I know I'm supposed to pluck off all the blooms the first year... but I couldn't help it, by the time I realized they were blooming there was already fruit ripening and I couldn't bring myself to do it.

7 pints of strawberry jam canned so far!

2 comments:

Carol G said...

Isn't it nice to find what plants and such are growing in your new place. Your garden is looking nice. I've had to get netting around my strawberry plants to keep the bunnies off of them. They ate two of them down to the ground.

Gelfling said...

Darn those bunnies! We have a family of groundhogs living in the hill that we eventually want to become our vegetable garden... we named the big patriarch of the family "Patrick", and have since started calling every groundhog we see "patrick", as in "I saw THREE patricks today!" We're going to have to capture and relocate them before we plant the veggie garden next spring!