Thursday, September 15, 2011

After careful consideration...


... and lots of advice from friends and family, we have decided to go with the Woodstock Fireview woodstove.  This photo of the model we are getting is from Woodstock's website... isn't it pretty?

It is supposed to ship next week, and will hopefully be here by September 29th, which is when we are having the chimney installed.  Thanks to an amazing and generous wedding gift from my father, we're going to be warm this winter.  I'd always wanted a soapstone woodstove, but had always figured we wouldn't be able to afford them.  Honeybunch's parents gave us a heads up that Woodstock was having a sale, and we jumped on it. 

Last night, I'm faily certain that lightning struck the lightning rod mounted on our roof.  I was on my laptop in the bedroom when I heard a high pitched "pop", like the sound of a vaccuum being broken... I glanced up just in time to see the bedroom window fill with white light, then jumped up and screamed as I heard the loudest CRACK I've ever heard.

I ran upstairs to make sure Honeybunch was okay... he'd been soldering, and when it happened it startled him so badly, he threw the soldering iron into the air!  We ran outside, smelled woodsmoke... and started searching with the flashlight for smoke.  The smell passed and we didn't find any evidence of fire... but our internet modem was fried.  The internet cable runs out through the wall of the office and down the side of the house, very close to the cable that extends from the lightning rod into the ground.  Freaky.  It could have been SO much worse.

This past week was three back-to-back 12-hour shifts, and I busted my butt every second of it.  Last night a young man came in by ambulance after overdosing on heroin.  His fiancee's 4 year old son was with him.  The fiancee, instead of rushing to be with her young child (who was also being checked out in our ER because he was lethargic), was doting on her useless junkie boyfriend.  Her children left the ER in the custody of protective services, and she didn't seem at all upset... to the contrary, she appeared to be relieved.   Sometimes I honestly feel like everyone should need to obtain a license before having children. 

No comments: