Friday, September 23, 2011

It's been a rough week.

This past weekend Honeybunch and I set up shop at a hoopdance festival/gathering to vend his lovely LED creations for the first time.
It was a delightful time.  In addition to some hoopdance workshops, a few good sales and some newly made friends, I got kissed by a llama, and I even got to ride a horse.  I haven't ridden a horse since girlscout camp as a child... and I have to say, it felt totally natural and right.  I got her going at a pretty good trot and it felt amazing.  I've always been fascinated by the relationship between horse and rider... maybe this Spring we'll finally get around to taking some riding lessons.

Unfortunately, I came down with a nasty cold halfway through the weekend... and being in the mountains, that meant being sick out in 40 degree weather with only bonfires to warm up by.  Smoke and cold makes for an unhappy sick Gelfling.  Then I passed a kidney stone and have been fighting a urinary tract infection ever since.  Ugh.

Today I had off from work, and had all kinds of exciting little details to wrap up for the wedding.  I was supposed to pick up my dyed shoes, do the final fitting for my dress, and do a trial run with the hairdresser.  All three of these did not go as expected.  I got to the store that had my shoes and found they didn't open until 11:00.  I couldn't hang around and wait because I had an appointment with my seamstress, so I left, still not knowing if my shoes are the right color or not.  My dress still doesn't fit.  She says she'll be able to let it out in the ribs a bit more, and should have it done by Wednesday.  She's a very talented woman, and I have faith... but not a whole lot of time.  The wedding is two weeks from tomorrow. 

So off I went, dress-less and shoe-less, to my hair appointment.  That was a total disaster.  The woman clearly had no idea how to do fingerwaves at all, and her attempt at a crown french braid looked like I'd done it myself without a mirror.  Le sigh.  So, it's two weeks away, and my dress doesn't fit, my shoes might be a completely dreadful color, and I have no clue what to do with my hair.  I didn't cry, because I'm NOT going to be one of those brides who breaks down and sobs while obsessing over the little details... but it was close there for a minute or two.

This was the first time that I've gotten the least bit stressed about the wedding.  I'm mostly over it now, and just putting my faith in the fact that it will all come together in the end.  Tomorrow I will try another salon, though they don't know how to do fingerwaves, I'm hoping they'll help me come up with some other style that I'll like and feel comfortable wearing.

The good news is that all of the wine and beer has been procured, and we will be serving:  Four Quarters Bed of Roses mead, Zeller Schwarze Katz Mosel, Yellowtail Shiraz, an assortment of Victory Brewing Company beer, and Magic Hat #9.  This morning we went to the courthouse and did the paperwork for our marriage license, and that should be mailed to us on Monday.  So, there will be a legal marriage, and there will be good wine and beer to drink, and the rest of the details will fall into place as they please.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't keep raining right on through the wedding.

No comments: