Saturday, January 28, 2012

Almost Imbolc


We are very nearly halfway through winter... February 2nd marks Imbolc, a day celebrating the journey back to light as the season of darkness wanes.  Aside from two dinky snowfalls that melted within a day or two, it has barely felt like winter at all.  The crazy daffodils are poking their little heads up, fooled into believing that Spring has come already.


Yesterday was such an unusual sunset... the sun was almost below the horizon as it peeked out from behind some clouds, lighting up the top of the sycamore tree against a stormy grey sky.  Beautiful.


I'm making slow but steady progress on the veggie garden in between rain storms.  The chickens, of course, have been a tremendous help.


This lil' Australorp helped me build some stone steps.  She's quite the engineer.



It's been kind of nice putting together these garden beds in a time of year when I can't plant anything.  It's a much lower-pressure sort of task when I don't have plants wilting in pots as they wait for their home to be finished.  I did find that in the far right corner of this area, someone had decided to burn some trash as some point.  Charred bits of random crap have been discovered under there.  So, that section of the garden will be dedicated to non-edibles... I think I'll plant native wildflowers for the bees and hummingbirds.

This past week was one of unexpected expenses.  I had to drop $700 on repairs to my car, and it became unpleasantly apparent that we need to have the septic tank pumped.  I'm not thrilled about either of these developments, but this is adulthood, right??

No comments: