Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

My first patient of the day was, appropriately, having an acute heart attack.  We kicked ass and he had a balloon in his blocked coronary artery within 27 minutes of arrival.  Hoorah for us!

I was having a great day.  I was feeling like my sinus infection was finally starting to get better, and I was genuinely enjoying my work. Then I suddenly became dizzy and flushed.  This has been happening, intermittently, for the past two weeks or so.  It usually goes away within a few minutes.  This time it didn't.  So I stepped into an empty patient room and put a heart monitor on myself.  My heart rate was 150!  So guess who signed in as a patient??

I was most concerned that it might be SVT, but after lying down for awhile my heart rate slowed to the 130s.  No adenosine for me.  I spent the next 4.5 hours getting tests and IV fluids.  We got it down to the low 100s after 2 liters of fluid and several hours of rest, but still have no clue why it happened.  I had no other signs of dehydration, drinking plenty of water, minimal caffeine, no more stressed than usual, no fever, thyroid is fine, labs are all normal, chest x-ray is normal.  It's a mystery to me.  My doc was stumped as well, and she's brilliant.  She offered to keep me overnight for observation, but I couldn't really see the benefit of doing so when all my tests were negative.  So, I'm supposed to see about following up with a cardiologist if this continues to happen.

Tonight we are staying in and I'm taking it easy.  We're ordering sushi takeout for dinner  I have the day off tomorrow, thankfully, and will be able to get plenty of rest.

I hope your heart is happy on this Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Carol G said...

Sheesh. I guess you had enough excitement for one day!