Sunday, August 24, 2014

Change is on the wind

The past 24 hours have been magical.  We had our annual Burning Man Orphan Party, an event for all of us who are left behind during this week when our friends take the journey out into the desert.  This year was more intimate and relaxed than years past, as it seems that more of our people are in Nevada than ever before.  I enjoyed the energy of the evening immensely.  So often we throw parties and I feel as though I hardly saw anyone in the rush and madness of it all.  This year, I got quality time with nearly everyone.

Today we went for a hike up the big hill just a mile or so from our home.  In the past three years we've lived out here, Hubbybunch and I have never really explored those woods.  It was well worth the steep hike for the view we were rewarded with at the peak.  Gorgeous rolling hills, a clear blue sky, and a group of sweaty friends made it the perfect decompression.

Big changes are coming for me, as I have accepted a per diem hospice home care position.  I start next week.  And, pending a few details that need to be worked out, I am planning on moving to per diem status in the Emergency Department.  I kind of hit bottom with my compassion fatigue a few weeks ago, and realized that I absolutely MUST reduce the number of hours I'm spending submerged in that incredibly stressful (and at times, downright toxic) environment.  I will continue to lead the council and fulfill all of my extra-curricular obligations there, but the math is telling me that I can work half the hours and get paid the same, PLUS develop the other aspects of myself that have been so sorely neglected.

I got up in the air on the silks for the first time in weeks last night, and it felt incredible.  I won't be young, fit and healthy forever... if I'm going to do circus, I have to do it NOW.

Also, a demented old woman tried to bite my fingers off last week.

So that's that.

No comments: