Monday, April 26, 2010

The dark side of the garden


I am learning that in order to be a successful gardener, one must be positively ruthless.  Don't let the bright orange daisy-patterned gloves fool you!  A good gardener must marshall the land with an iron fist!

For instance, seedlings.  I nurture these little guys from seed to stalk, anxiously awaiting those first sets of leaves, watering them gently and moving them outside for sunlight and inside to protect them from the cold... but ultimately, the time comes when the seedlings must be thinned.  I pinch the heads off of the weaker half of the lot without a second thought.

And slugs!  I try to be a gentle person, and honestly believe in the right of all living things to exist and live in peace.  Except when it comes to slugs in my lettuce patch.  I happily sprinkle diatomacous earth on my top soil, humming as I do so, thinking about those little buggers getting their bellies all sliced up as they approach my tender green-lings.

And let's not even go into detail about what happens to those big, juicy grubs dug up while turning the soil at the start of the season... but it does involve eleven chickens chasing one another around the yard excitedly.

Oh goodness no, it's certainly not all flowers and strawberries and butterflies out there... not by a long shot...

2 comments:

Bláithín said...

Ah, you're more ruthless than I am! I tend to thin seedlings and plant the thinned out ones anywhere I can find room...I hate to see them "wasted". And I TRY to rescue earthworms from the chickens, or at least prevent the girls from *finding* the worms. Grubs, not so much.

And I like the photo you've used to accompany this entry; very fitting. Not quite sure what it is...sage?

Gelfling said...

It's lavender actually, I forget which type :/