Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Things I learned in the past week

#1 Mulching really does work.  The strawberries we planted in our windowboxes have doubled in size and vitality since mulching them with leaf compost.

#2 You can fit 2 humans and 6 full-sized bales of straw into (yes, into, not on top of) a 3-door Hyundai Accent.  I do believe that this pretty much defines urban farming. 

#3 Some people don't want to be around for their loved ones when they die, and after you've called them and informed them of the change in that loved one's condition, all you can do is accept their decision to go back to sleep instead of coming in to say their goodbyes.  To each his own.

#4 If you are doing something that is far enough outside the mental "bubble" of the general public (such as doing circus arts in the middle of a grocery store), they will act as though you do not exist.  This reminds me very much of Neil Gaiman's description of people, things, places and times "slipping through the cracks" in Neverwhere.  It makes me laugh, and pushes me to do more and more absurd things just to see if people notice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

:) am picturing you hooping in safeway, and people just walking past with their eyes fixed on the isle around them, floorward or straighhhht ahead. "I do not believe in faeries, I do not believe in faeries. . . ."

....also. :) Mulchtastic.

In the worm compost bin - I carelessly fed my wriggling ones the leavings of a chopped squash.

I left the seeds in - wondering whether they'd eat them quickly and render them foodstuffs before they could germinate.

Instead, they ate the rest of the food scraps, and pooped all over the seeds - - which have rocketed up through the now hyper-fertile layers of damp newspaper like superman leaving orbit. They are freaking legion.

I pull them out gingerly. . . one at a time, amazed at my small forest of squashlings. Holy eff.