Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Cast iron

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I'd never cooked in cast iron.  I was a "stainless steel with copper core" gal all the way.  But with a bit of research I was reminded about the benefits of cooking in cast iron (trace iron in your foods, excellent nonstick properties with proper seasoning, even heat distribution and retention), and bought the Lodge Cast Iron "Combo Cooker" online.  I am in love.  I get such a kick out of frying up eggs in the morning, washing it with plain water after and oiling it up to a nice lovely black sheen before putting it back on the shelf.  I loved oven roasting brussel sprouts to a crisp nutty finish in it.  This weekend, I may even try to bake scones for the first time. 

It takes a lot to impress me as far as cookware goes.  During high school I worked for a kitchen supply store for several years, and learned the ins and outs of gadgetry and gimmicks.  I learned to tell the difference between the (insert famous TV chef name here) flimsy metal CRAP and the professional grade, "with you untl you die" good stuff. We sold cast iron there too, and I remember learning of its alleged benefits shortly after starting my job there, but no one ever bought it... so I was never sold on it either.  It sat on the shelves, dusty and forgotten behind the gleaming stainless, copper and nonstick cookware sets.  I assumed it was outdated.

How wrong I was.

The most incredible thing about cast iron is that it releases food beautifully, but there is no synthetic nonstick coating to scratch off.  I own a nonstick skillet by ScanPan that has treated me very well, and in return I have come to love it... to the point of absolute neurosis, carefully watching anyone else who was cooking it in to be certain that NO METAL ever touched its lovely grey surface.  Even with that level of care, I'm seeing little nicks in the coating here and there, probably just from jostling with other dishes or utentils in the sink during washing.  It has lasted a few years, but probably won't make it too much longer before the coating gets damaged enough to be a nuisance, and then a hazard. 

My $40 investment in cast iron will outlive me.  I enjoy that idea, however morbid it may be.

No comments: