Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Christmas WishList

Dear Santa,
For Christmas this year, I'd like 5-10 acres of clean, green land.  Some of it should be wooded, preferably with a couple dozen sugar maples... and some of it should be open to the sky, ready to receive our seedlings and goat kids in the Springtime.  A mature orchard somewhere in there couldn't hurt, but if not... just the room to plant some apple, pear, cherry, peach and fig trees would be more than adequate.  A few hills would be nice.
I want a garden large enough to feed our little family of two through most of the year.
I want neighbors, close enough to befriend, far enough to not be scared away or otherwise disturbed by our parties.
I'd love to have a small running spring-fed stream, one that we could build a very small dam in to make the waterfowl happy and to harvest a small amount of hydroelectric power from.
I'd like a well with clean, delicious water.
I want two hives of bees, a couple of goats, maybe even a trio of sheep, a pair of angora rabbits to breed, and the chance to have a rooster in our flock so our girls can hatch out their own eggs. 
I'd like a modest house, with a good roof, dry basement and well-maintained electrical, water and heating systems.  I'd like a wood stove.  I'd like hardwood floors and draft-less windows.  I'd like a bathtub.  I'd like a kitchen large enough to can our tomato harvest in.   I'd like a room with high enough ceilings to hang our silks... if not in the house, then in the barn.
Yes, I'd like a barn.  Nothing too fancy, mind you!  Just a sound building to keep our creatures safe and warm on those winter nights, a place to store hay and to milk goats. 
I want the room to make a beautiful and functional workshop for my Honeybunch.  I'd like to help him build a kickwheel and a kiln.  I'd like for him to be able to use his drill press, and a lathe, and his welder.  I'd like to have the space and time to learn these things myself, Santa.
I want all of this, within reasonable driving distance of both of our places of employment, within our reasonable price range, and in an area without exorbitant taxes.

I know it sounds like a lot.  But I've been a really, REALLY good girl this year.  Seriously!!!!!

No comments: