Saturday, December 04, 2010

Productivity

It feels really, really bizarre to not be canning, dehydrating, freezing, or growing any food right now.  I'm kinda freaked out. 

It's not like there aren't other things that need to be done.  There is always laundry, always cleaning, always cooking and baking and tending of the animals.  But eventually, that stuff is done, and it's dark and cold outside, and my body says to me, "sleep, Gelfling".  Lately, I've been listening to it.  A lot.

I have goals this winter... crocheting and knitting projects I want to get done, basic fiddle skills I need to learn, books to read and a wedding to plan.  I've been helping my Honeybunch with the unskilled labor parts of building his LED hoops.  But lately, all I seem to really want to do is curl up under about a thousand blankets and sleep for hours on end.  I feel sort of guilty about it.


The holidays are fast approaching, and I'm starting to get excited about the little gifts I'm finding for my loved ones.  I'll be making a few handmade things as well, such as blown and painted eggs from our girls in a handmade twig nest for my mom, moss terrariums, and air plants in interesting thrift-store acquired containers.  Friends will be receiving loaves of freshly baked bread and homemade preserves.  Etsy.com has been a godsend for those perfect unique little things for my family members.  Where else could I find a t-shirt of a T-rex riding a bicycle??


I'm going to bundle up and head out to the woods for a hike, then swing by the bi-weekly winter grower's market to stock up on tasty local apples.  The rest of the day is a mystery, and I'm just hoping that I stay awake for it.

No comments: