Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday spirit

Christmas is but two weeks away, and I'm starting to feel more in the mood for it.  With temperatures dropping down into the teens this weekend, we've finally decided to turn on the heat for the first time this season.  I'm hoping we get a bit of snow.  I'm humming carols to myself as I wash the dishes.  Packages are being wrapped up in (recycled from Honeybunch's shipments of hoop-making supplies) brown paper with silver curling ribbons.  Today I brought home a bouquet of evergreen boughs and eucalyptus, and candles are burning throughout the house as I type.  It feels like Christmas.

All the gift shopping that's really left are the stocking stuffers for Honeybunch and family (my favorite holiday shopping... I love finding fun little treats to tuck into the stockings!), and the stocking stuffers for the Preparedness Stocking Stuffer Swap being organized by http://selfrelianceadventures.blogspot.com/2010/11/2010-preparedness-stocking-stuffer-swap.html .  I think that is just such a great idea, and I'm anxious to get started on putting together a nice package for my swap partner.

There's still lots of baking to do, as my friends will be receiving loaves of homemade bread, cookies and jars of preserves put by in the peak of summer.  Next Friday I'll be getting together with some friends for a holiday goodie swap for which I'll be making my lavender and rose shortbread cookies.  I'll be baking up a whole bunch of them this weekend and will post the recipe with accompanying photos.  Neighbors and coworkers will also be receiving plates of cookies this year, but I haven't decided what other varieties to prepare yet.  Perhaps mexican wedding cookies and almond cloud cookies... my mouth is watering just thinking of it.

On a related note, the winter solstice is joined by a total lunar eclipse this year on December 21st.  I took off from work for it, and have to wonder if the staffing office notices my strange habit of taking time off around significant astrological events.

No comments: