Monday, March 21, 2011

Another weekend over

It went by waaayyy too fast, and I feel like we didn't get nearly enough done.  I'm fighting a growing sense of panic with the realization that I have berry bushes, strawberry plants, asparagus, and more apple trees arriving this week, and no ground prepared for planting them.  It looks like we're going to have to build raised beds... our soil is sticky, nasty, wet clay... not good at all for gardening.  That's fine, but it's another time consuming (and expensive!) project that needs doing pretty much right now.  *Takes a deep breath*.  It will all get done, right?

We felled a few trees this past weekend, using the chainsaw my mother bought us as a housewarming present.  It was certainly easier than using a bow saw, but still hard work!  Honeybunch and I are both quite sore.  We finished painting the kitchen this weekend too, and it is almost completely scrubbed down and ready to move into.  I need to scrub one last cabinet and the fridge and we're set to go. For some reason other people's food grime grosses me out something awful, so I'm very happy to be rid of the sticky cabinets and crumbs in the drawers!

Before:



After!!





I think the red warmed the room up nicely!

The bedroom is painted and scrubbed, and I love how the color turned out.  We bought the flooring to lay down this upcoming weekend.  Honeybunch bought a miter saw and we're borrowing a friend's table saw to get it done. 


Before:



After!





I had to hang these stained glass window ornaments as soon as I'd finished washing the windows.  My aunt made them decades ago, and they have always meant "home" to me.  And check out our outdoor firepit, we're ready for the first bonfire with friends now!





I work tonight, then have off tomorrow night and will begin painting the office upstairs.  The ceiling, trim, and walls all need to be painted (why anyone would paint a room a nasty beige-y brown from floor to ceiling, I'll never know).  Work again on Wednesday, then back to the house Thursday through Sunday to paint, lay flooring, cut up wood, and HOPEFULLY begin building raised beds if we can find affordable materials.  I'm looking for corrugated metal roofing to avoid expensive cedar and toxic pressure-treated lumber... wish me luck!

1 comment:

S said...

The whole place is perfect! I love how the red paint transformed that kitchen into such a warm cozy place. Enjoy all the new in your life! Perfect for spring, and new beginnings!