Saturday, February 05, 2011

Disturbed sleep

I've had a hard time getting a decent night/day's sleep this whole week, and it's been catching up to me.  Yesterday we woke up after about four hours of sleep at 6am to get to the house in time for the inspection at 8am.  When we arrived, we found that the septic inspection couldn't happen because of the snow and ice.  We also found that the seller's hadn't filled the oil tank, so they ran out of oil after turning the heat on.  So, no heating check either.  And, because they ran out of oil, pipes in the kitchen froze.  No inspection of the kitchen and lower bathroom plumbing.  What a pain in the ass.  So, we're going to have to get the inspector out there again, at the seller's expense, to finish it up once they have it all up and running again.

Three freezing cold hours later, what could be done of the inspection was finished, and my blood sugar was probably about 40.  I was on the verge of panic for some sort of fuel to put in my bloodstream and keep my vital organs running.  If I don't eat a balanced meal of simple and complex carbs plus protein every four hours or so, this happens to me.  It's worse if I'm exercising, stressed, or cold.  I was all of those things yesterday during that inspection.  By the time we sat down at the table in the diner, my hands were shaking to the point where I could barely unwrap the straw to drink my orange juice.  It's a nasty feeling, but luckily the solution is a simple one, and about ten minutes into my meal I felt my mind starting to clear.

We got home around 12:30, and I was crashing out HARD.  I napped for 20 minutes before having to go to the dentist to get my last filling done.  The dentist is always a stressful experience for me... but it's gotten more stressful recently, as it seems I am becoming less and less sensitive to lidocaine.  I spent the better part of an hour fighting back a sense of panic, yet again.  I didn't get home until about 5pm because of errands and delays, laid down for ten minutes and then picked up Honeybunch from work.  At 7pm I was crashed out in bed, and stayed there until 3am.  A full eight hours of sleep, what a novel idea that is!  I woke up, started birdseed bread dough, went food shopping, filled my car tires with air... it's amazing what a good night's sleep can do to a person.  I actually feel like I can take on the day now.

3 comments:

Bláithín said...

What a bummer! Hopefully you can get the inspection completed (with no additional expense on YOUR part!) soon...I know what a stressful situation that can be! I can't wait to see the place!!!! I"m so excited for you :-)

Carol G said...

I'm sorry your last few days haven't been going well. You are getting so close to your new home... I hope your body is recovering from the stress and ice attacks.

Gelfling said...

Thanks folks. The weird sleeping pattern will pass, especially after we get all moved into our new home, out in the country where it's quiet!