Saturday, February 26, 2011

A teaser

Yesterday felt like early Spring.  I woke up before dawn (working night shift makes my sleep schedule on days off very unpredictable), started a loaf of bread, and put in a few job applications.  By the time the sky was light, it was pouring heavy rain and the chickens were looking at me from the door of the warm, dry coop like it was all my fault.  I told them to pretend to be ducks and be happy it wasn't snow.  A few hours later it was drizzly with intermittent breaks of brilliant, sparkling sunshine, the temperature was 60 degrees, and wind gusts were up to 60mph.  I'll take it. 

I'm anxious to start some seeds, but can't justify doing so when I don't even have the location picked out for our veggie garden at the new house.  I have an idea of where it might go, but I need to get the soil tested, figure out exactly how much sun it gets, measure the square footage of the spot, till it, enrich it with compost. Then I have to lay out beds and paths, and finally fence it.  I doubt I can get all of that done in time for planting any long-season crops like 'maters, on top of clearing and planting the orchard and berry patch. 

There is a lot of good work ahead of us, between fixing up the house, barn, greenhouse, and gardens.  I'm trying to prepare for it and not get myself into trouble by planning to do too much.

In other news, Honeybunch constructed two pairs of fire fans for us this past week.  A very talented friend of ours is going to start teaching fan dancing workshops, and we're excited to learn.  Fire fans are a prop I've always wanted to play with but haven't had the opportunity.  Now I find myself picking them up each time I walk by, spinning them on my fingers and tossing them in the air (clumsily, mind you... but I'll get better).  I think that learning to use a new tool is exactly what I need to free myself from the plateau I've been stuck on for months with my hoop.  New tools open up new patterns of movement in my body, and that will translate to the hoop eventually. 

No comments: