Sunday, August 14, 2011

Winter warmth.

I'm sweating as I sit here to type.  It's been a rainy, hot, muggy weekend here, but one that we spent planning for the brutal cold of winter.  Yesterday we got an estimate from a local place for getting a chimney and stovepipe installed.  We essentially have 8 weeks to come up with $3500 if we want to have it in by the end of October. 

I was naively hoping that we'd also be able to get the woodstove I'm lusting after:
http://jotul.com/en-US/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-400-Castine/
...but it's quite clear now that won't be happening this year.  Luckily, Honeybunch's parents have a stove in their garage that they offered to lend us until we can get the one we want.

I'm not allowed to work overtime while I'm on orientation at work... so I'm going to be pinching pennies and trying to pimp out my hoopdancing and jam-making skills for some extra cash flow.  This has to happen this year, or else we'll end up putting nearly that much cash into the oil tank this season anyway!  That money-guzzling monster in the basement is old, inefficient, and likely to break down within a couple of years as it is.  Having a high quality woodstove and a few cords of seasoned firewood stacked in the barn means that we can watch that boiler die and not give a damn.  Independence.  That's what we want.


No comments: