Friday, January 07, 2011

A Home.

Honeybunch has decided to stay at his current job.  After accepting the generous offer from the new company, he gave his notice to his current one.  They immediately matched the offer, promote him, give him a bonus, etc, in order to keep him.  He returned this news to the new company, who said, "give us a number".  Honeybunch is an honest man, and a modest one.... and he did not feel comfortable in that situation.  He chose instead to politely decline the offer from the new company, leaving the folks there pleased with his professionalism and an open door should he come seeking a job at a later time.  His current company is THRILLED to be keeping him.  And we are both happy that the ordeal is over, as it was a very stressful choice for him, despite the fact that it was a very good problem to have! 

Now that he and I know where he stands with his employment, we can begin to seriously look for our permanent home.  I started browsing Landwatch.com, looking at properties in the next county over that are still within reasonable driving distance of Honeybunch's job.  I noted a few promising looking listings, copied and pasted them into an email to the real estate agent we've been working with recently.  Each of them had its advantages and disadvantages, and I weighed them in my mind as I browsed.  But the very last one I clicked on made my heart skip a few beats. 

I am trying to not let my hopes get up too high.  I only just sent a request for a showing this morning, and it may not be right for us. 

But oh my goodness, it feels right.  I actually woke Honeybunch up out of a sound sleep to show him the website.  He is sleeping beside me right now, and a few minutes ago was murmuring his sleep.  I asked him what he was dreaming about, and he said, "buying that house..." before drifting off again.

It is a beautiful restored farmhouse on 5 acres, with hardwood floors, a sunroom, a modern kitchen, exposed beams.  The land has open areas of pasture as well as woods.  It has a barn with a fenced paddock, a smokehouse, a greenhouse (eee!), a pond, and a stream running through the property.  According to Google's satellite images, it is neighbored by a park and open fields.  It is in our price range, and its taxes are low.

I think I am in love.

The listing does not detail the state of the bones of the house... the septic system, well, roof, electric, heat, etc.  I am preparing myself to be disappointed if those essential systems are in poor repair.  But I have hope, as the photos show what looks to be a house that has been lovingly restored, updated and cared for by people whose interests in gardens and livestock seem to match our own.  I am hoping, PRAYING that we can get out there to see the house as soon as possible.

I'm already imagining our chickens pecking at worms on the lawn, our young tomato plants getting a head start in the greenhouse, our ewes and nanny goats munching on hay in the fields, our aerials silks hanging from a rig in the trees behind the house, our cats exploring the built-in bookshelves of the living room.  It takes my breath away.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.